If you are a young adult moving away from a family home for the first time, moving can be quite overwhelming. In addition to finding the perfect location and the best apartment for your budget, there seem to be new purchases and expenses at every turn. However, while making your new apartment feel like home can be extensive, you will be delighted with your new place in the end. If you don’t know where to begin, follow the checklist below for your first apartment essentials.
First Apartment Essentials for Your Kitchen
Furnishing your new apartment can quickly lead to wasteful spending. While you may think you need elaborate kitchen appliances, there are just a few essentials that you are likely to need right away. These essentials can include:
- Pots and pans
- Basic bakeware
- Drinking glasses
- Wine glasses or coffee mugs
- A toaster
- A microwave, if not included in the apartment
- A serrated and a smooth-edged knife
- Measuring spoons and cups
- Cleaning supplies
Use restraint when first purchasing these items, as you can always buy later as you see what items you use more of and what items you wish you had.
If a new bed is on your list of first apartment essentials, you should take care when selecting your new mattress. A quality mattress doesn’t need to be elaborately expensive, but buying new is preferable to buying one that is used. Other bedroom items can include:
- Closet organizers, including hangers, boxes, or shoe racks
In general, there are several first apartment essentials you will need to keep your bathroom tidy and organized, including:
- A toothbrush holder or case
- Multiple towels
- A bathmat
- A bathroom rug, if you want to add more color to your bathroom
- Toilet bowl scrub brush
Of course, your apartment is more than your kitchen, bedroom, and bathroom. However, it can be difficult to consider other furniture as first apartment essentials, especially when you are trying to maintain your budget. Below are some of the essential furniture items you should consider purchasing:
- Sofa: a sofa is worth investing in, but only if you are ready. If you plan on moving again and upgrading at a later point, you can save money here.
- A Place to Eat: You do not need a traditional dining table, but you will likely want someplace to eat your food. If you have a kitchen island, grab a couple of bar stools to create your table.
- Artwork: Adding some simple artwork can turn a new apartment into a home. Add a few framed or mounted pieces to increase the sophistication and comfort of your living room.
- Lighting: Make sure you have table lighting as well as standing lamps.
Make Your First Apartment Feel Like Home
If you still have some room in your budget after acquiring your first apartment essentials, you can add a few accessories. These decorative touches can include:
- Throw pillows
- Area rugs
When furnishing your first apartment, remember to take your time and spend wisely. What you need in your apartment, and your desired design will make itself clear over time.
Let Us Be Your Apartment Home!
Whether you need your very first apartment home or are relocating to the area, Apartments of Harborside Village would love to be your dream apartment home. Are you looking for beautiful waterfront apartments in Joppa, Maryland? Let us show you one of our spacious and affordable apartments at the Apartments of Harborside Village. To learn more about our apartment options, visit us online, give us a call at 410-679-1130, or email us. For a peek into what it’s like to live in our community, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and YouTube.